Saturday, July 28, 2012

Is it Rembrandt?, The Hague, and Rotterdam

This week started out with a guest lecturer (wearing awesome shoes I might add).  He basically believes that most paintings said to be Rembrandts are actually done by his students.  Really he was kind of an asshole who really liked to listen to himself talk and had quite an ego.  But I think you have to have an ego to be spouting some crazy theories about centuries dead artists.

We spent a lot of time in front of this painting.  It is considered the pride of the Netherlands.  (Don't worry if you don't get why, neither do I.)  It is the Night Watch by Rembrandt.  He pointed out all the sex in the painting.

Such as the shadow of the main guy's hand grabbing at the crotch of the guy next to him while he holds a huge spear thing.  A bit of a reach (no pun intended), but at least he actually agreed that Rembrandt painted this painting.

On Wednesday we visited the Hague (a city) and the Gemeentemuseum.  It has a really great collection of modern and contemporary art.


One of their exhibitions was of this guy's amazing sculptures.  My favorite though was this bed where the curtains were made of crystals and there was a crystal crown on top.


Then I walked into a room and saw Orville! I think I gasped out loud.  For those who don't know what this is I have included a video.



They also had a exhibition about Mondrian.  It included this painting.  Which I have to say is one of the four or five I actually like of Mondrian's.  Just don't tell my professor.

I skipped on Thursday.  Sue me, I'm tired and didn't want to go on an architecture tour.
On Friday we went back to Rotterdam.  First we went to the NAi (the Netherlands Architecture Institute).

I spent the whole time in the kid's section drawing, building with legos, and coloring.  There were these awesome cutouts that you could color and build into your own city.

They even included a pile of dog poop.  How nice of them. (Sorry, it was hard to get the poop in focus).

Next we went to the Sonneveld House Museum.  It is a house where these rich people lived from the 30s to the 50s.


We got to wear these awesome shoes covers to protect the floors.

The entire house was very modern at the time it was built.  It had crazy things like dumbwaiters and ten shower heads in each of the showers.  It was very ahead of its time, but really all we wanted to do while there was act out Mad Men and have cocktails.

The best part was this little lamp which looked like the families hiding place for the KKK hoods when not in use.

That night I stuck around in Rotterdam to watch the Battle of the Drums.  Three different drum/brass cores played.  It was amazing.  Especially watching kids being ghetto in Dutch.  Some words are the same in both languages.

Eventually the rain started and this was all I could see.  Leave me to be stuck in a rain storm in a white shirt the only day I don't bring either a raincoat or a sweater.  I was not a good girl scout today.


No comments:

Post a Comment